Monday, January 26, 2009

Making Plarn More Appealing

I love the concept of Plarn (plastic yarn made from recycled grocery bags) but have been somewhat underwhelmed by the products made with it. Mostly an array of pouches, purses and tote bags that all look, well, to be straight up honest...frumpy.

While I am eclectic in my tastes, liking everything from starkly elegant to luxuriously decadent, frumpy isn't something that I like. In fact, I hate it! So today I am embarking on a quest to find a way to make Plarn more appealing.

Taking into account the properties of Plarn: it is not elastic as you work with it; but it will stretch under pressure; if you twist it, it compresses quite thin and loses flexibility; if you leave it untwisted, it is fluffy and soft; the finished crochet fabric is thick; the colors readily available to me are, well, not exactly eye catching (khaki brown and white); I have decided to work on something structural such a Market Tote. Not one of those mesh bag looking things, but something more basket shaped, elegant and refined that brings to mind the open markets in Europe.

I plan to use a combination of single crochet, double crochet and filet stitch. I will post pictures as I progress and, if it turns out particularly nice, I will probably post a tutorial on my other blog.

2 comments:

CCGAL said...

I agree with your sentiments re: the currently available patterns using plarn. I'm looking forward to seeing what you create!

concretenprimroses said...

I definitely made a frumpy bag with plarn. But hey at least I used up about 50 plastic bags! I use it to store all my other bags in. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Lately my newspapers have been coming in orange bags. Haven't done anything with them yet tho...
Kathy

About Me

My photo
i sew because i cannot draw.